Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter

Happy Easter everybody!
I hope you all enjoy the few days off, spending time with friends and family, doing whatever makes you happy.

Disclaimer: The following post contains blasphemic statements - so if you are sensitive when it comes to your religion you better refrain from reading it.

I've been wondering how Easter developed from being the time to celebrate the resurrection of Christ (all you believers out there might still do so, but the masses don't) to an easter-egg-searchorama and another what-did-you-get-me day? Don't get me wrong, the last place you'll find me is a church, but still... I mean, how could the most important religious holiday in the Christian liturgical year become just another commercialized feast where children expect their parents to buy them gifts?

Nerd Alert: Wikipedia says it were German Protestants who wanted to retain the Catholic custom of eating colored eggs during Easter without introducing their children to fasting. So they made up the "Osterhase" aka Easter Bunny aka Spring Bunny instead. For the kids this explanation was perfectly fine.

And now? Since it's a Protestant rite, being a baptized Protestant myself, I'm fine with it. But what about those poor Catholics that lost their children to commerce? How can you save them from slipping to the Protestants and re-introduce them to the genuine meaning of Easter? They are still small and influenceable, so you better act NOW before it's too late!!!
'But how can I save them???' you might ask. Well, I have an idea! Use the patterns they've grown accustomed to, like the bunny and the eggs, and blend them subtly with Catholic iconography! This might do the trick.
Happy conversion!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


bottom