Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Attack from inner space

I haven’t been posting for a couple of days and this time I have a valid excuse: I’ve been sick! And I’m not talking “bit-of-a-headache-and-running-nose”sick. As you know last week I was supposed to work with my colleagues in Offenbach who will be my German back office for the next 2 years. On Tuesday I thought ‘Man, I don’t feel too good’, so I went back to the hotel. Then everything happened rather quickly: fever, more fever, headache and even skin ache! It was evident that I had managed to catch the flu that’s all over Germany at the moment. I wanted to go and see the doc, but I couldn't’t, because moving seemed to be a bad idea in general. I didn’t even have a bathtub at that bloody hotel room, hence I ended up sitting under the boiling shower for an hour or so to try and activate those white forces within me. Let’s say I wasn’t too successful. I was stuck in that little room until Friday when I finally managed to drive home. It was only a 2 hour drive, but when you have fever 2 hours can be veeeeeeeery long! I had planned to meet some friends during those few days in Gelsenkirchen, but I cancelled everything and nursed my tormented lounges. Today, exactly 7 days after all that started, I’m ok(ish) again. Still a bit off lane, but should be fine in one or two more days.
This whole episode made me think about the impact of little things. I’ve never been a big fan of theories such as the butterfly-effect or that one voice speaking up can actually change something. However, a tiny little virus made its way through my vanes, entered a cell, dumped its DNA there and forced it to be the new center of production for the viral forces which would do exactly the same with other cells. This microscopic piece of protein managed to take me out of the game for a whole week! If a virus can do this, imagine what a single person can do when it knows the system it’s working in and how to work it. Maybe small things can make a change after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


bottom