Thursday, September 07, 2006

A series of unfortunate events...

...well, I have't been adopted by the Baudelaire family, and Lemony Snicket is not trying to hunt me down (in case you don't know what I'm talking about, you should read more!), but I feel like someone or something else is. As if the last months weren't desasterous enough, the whole farce reached its peak last weekend, so I ended up on the Dutchie's floor, disturbing his first night of peace after 6 long months (still sorry, but I'll make up for it). On Sunday I took my flight to France and, still at the airport, I received my welcome gift by being charged for lousy 5kg of excess luggage. 30 bucks $#(_$*#'{!!!!!! On the flight I wanted to wach the DaVinci Code on my laptop, but the format couldn't be recognized, so I didn't do anything. After my arrival I talked the time away with an Australian rockband that was touring the globe for 2 yeas (pleasent exception) and thereby underestimated the distances on Charles de Gaules; I only made the train by running with my 25kg suitcase, a bag and my laptop. At Tours my host femily was supposed to pick me up. Guess what: nobody was there! So I called the mobile number I had been given by the school, but since my french was hardly enough to order a drink, I only understood that the woman on the other end of the line wanted to meet me somwhere at 7pm (it was 5:30 back then) and that she proposed to take a walk through the city in the meantime - with 30kg of luggage?!? yeah, sure!!! The Frenchies I asked for assistence to translate weren't much help either. At 7:15 the dad and one of the girls FINALLY picked me up. The "car" was already packed to the roof already, 'cause they had just returned from their holidays, and by trying to fit the suitcase in the care they broke its wheels - now I need a new one :-( The took me to their... let's call it house. To give you an image: I think Marc Dutroux would have felt quite comfortable there. Ancient and no maintenence since the French revolution... shitty room and a bath"room" with a mixture of tub and shower where not even a midget could stand properly ...ah well. I carried my crap to the 3rd floor, chatted a bit with the family (Oui... non... huh?). Later on daughter No.2, the mum and the dog arrived. I was instucted not to run in the garden 'cause the dog doesn't like it - fine with me. I went to my hammock in disguise pretty early and waited for the Sandman. Next day started fine: Nice school, good teacher and the realization that my french is not that bad after all! Spirits high I went "home" with the dog greeting me with loud barking, the moment I opened the gate. After opening the dooor I'd let him sniff so he'd know that it's ok to let me in - and he did. So I put my crap in the kitchen and wanted to climb the stairs to fetch a towel to do my homework in the garden. Apparently the dog is a bit forgetfull, so he decided that it is NOT ok to go up there. He made his point by biting me in the leg.
Long story short: I went back to the school to ask for another family, went to the doc to get a vaccination refresh and moved in with a new family the day after.
Now I live in a house in the city center, have quite a big room and 3 boys in their twenties around. I hope that family proves to be as promising as it seems at first glance.
Next time I'll give you a little tour through Tour.
A bientôt!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Katrin,du armes Huhn. Das hört sich ja schlimm an. So eine Scheiss-Familie. Wie kann denn das sein, das die Gäste bekommen, wenn die so einen Hund haben? Ich drück dir die Daumen, das das soweit in Zukunft alles passt. Wir haben jetzt unsere Wohnung in Essen fix und wir werden auch ein Gästezimmer haben wo natürlich dein Name dran steht. Ansonsten sind wir voll im Umzugsstress.

Mach dir trotzdem eine schöne Zeit und bis die Tage,

deine Wollenbergs.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


bottom